Tuesday 19 May 2015

What's in a name?

I consider names to be of primary importance in a story. Just look at Harrison Ford. What if Han Solo was named Mike Mansfield, or Indiana Jones was actually Steve Donaldson. No offense to Mike Mansfield or Steve Donaldson but those names don't really have the kick necessary for an action hero.

In Mortimer Townes I had a lot of fun with the names. The setting makes it necessary to tweak things a bit. After all it all takes place on another planet that is similar to Earth as is the time period; similar to Earth's 1960's. So the names needed to be similar, but still unique. In the story there is a boy named Chalo. Some folks may be able to recall a TV series called Happy Days. Well Happy Days had a character in it called Chachi. Some may argue that this character was the ultimate spin-off cheese of that era, and I would have to agree, but it was the archetype that I was going for in the character of Chalo. He's a bit too sure of himself and maybe a bit shallow. So I got a Chachi, but he's a bit shallow...see where I'm going with this? 

The example of Chalo isn't a hard and fast rule. Sometime I just make up a name from scratch because it sounds funny. One of my favorites is Shanti Shar. My partner used to have a dog named Shandy. He was a blond wrecking ball. Change the gender and you get Shanti. Maksey is also the name of my adorable niece and Spencer is my nephew. Shaley is a name that is kind of like canned lunch meat, I actually have no idea where it came from. Mortimer's wife Aga is actually the name of a premium quality, old style cooking stove - go ahead, look it up. They're really nice. Bosco Sharf is a play on words. My old Bass player used to call the local cops 'Bosco' from the abbreviation on their cars. So 'Bosco Sheriff' became Bosco Sherf, though in Mortimer he's an Army recruiter. 

The more obvious a name is, the more it takes center stage. The annoying military liaison antagonist is called Pom Debry. I could have called him Drone Strike but I'm saving that one for when I write a story about past US vice-presidents. Chugtang is a throwback to the 1960s space program. All of us kids used to chug Tang. Mim is obviously mom,  and Pal Tember is friendly and tall - 'timber!' (Yeah I know. It's not very creative). Seargent Bemis is kind of gross. It's actually the name of a toilet manufacturer. Halkus Moore is twist on a description. I wanted a 'hulking man' so I initially switched some letters around and got Halking Moon. You just don't name a character Moon, unless you're Frank Zappa of course (no offense Ms Unit). And finally we cone to Mortimer Townes. 

The best ones are inexplicable. They come from guardian angels I think. I'm one of these writers who believes that the good stuff is more channelled then created. I know my brain, and clever though I can sometimes be I am also the one who leaves my hot cup of coffee in the refrigerator when I'm making breakfast. 'Honey...have you seen my coffee?' The story started with Mortimer. My partner thought it sounded like a Sherlock Holmes kind of character, and truthfully she was right. But Mortimer was already cast as a loveable old farmer. Who knows what Mortimer was up to in his younger days. A detective for Scotland Yard might not be such a stretch though I’d have to do something about the agency’s name. Kiltie Lawn perhaps?













No comments:

Post a Comment